About Me

Lynnwood, Washington, United States
These are The Adventures of Motorcycle Max. I hope you enjoy this great collection of stories, all true - No fiction here! Tune in while we discuss Motorcycles, Racing - both now and then, and whatever else sparks our fancy. Do you have a question for Max? Send it to us! And Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It's Turkey Time!

Tom Turkey, not very ridable!
This is not story about family and friends sitting down to eat a big bird.

This is about one of the ‘turkeys’ I have owned.

Over the years I have bought and sold numerous bikes, usually British and vintage. Most often I buy junk, fix it up, and then help it find a new owner who will give it the love that I no longer have for it. Sometimes the love affair is short lived. I am always looking for that diamond in the rough, but have yet to find the Norton Manx in the old barn.

One summer day several years ago, I was with my wife and we were walking though some antique stores on Whidbey Island, Washington.  As I walked out onto a second story landing I noticed a bike about a block away.  It looked almost like a Manx, but I knew it could not be, as they are impractical on the street. As I got closer I realized it was an Atlas in ‘clubman’ trim. I put my business card on the bike with a little note on the back that said if you ever want to sell it, call me.

The Atlas Turkey - Before
One day, about eight months later, I get a call.  At first I have a hard time trying to figure out who the guy is that wants to sell me a bike. Finally, it all comes together and I go out to his place and to buy the bike for a really fair price.  He then asked me if I want to buy the ‘parts bike’ for $150, so I take it too. This was my first Norton that I owned. I have ridden numerous models but never owned one. I fix this one up with allot of polishing and detail work and start riding it. Now the ‘turkey’ part of the story.


I have always been keen on ‘café racers’ and it looks like they are the next ‘in thing’ (seen TV show Café Racer anyone?). Sometimes one is willing to put up with many poor bike qualities for the sake of being cool. This bike handled really well with good brakes but it vibrated soooooo bad that I had to get off after about 50 miles as my hands were numb (not to mention other body parts!).

The Atlas Turkey - After restoration
Cool or not, Manx clone or not the love affair was over and this turkey needed to find a new roost. 

Just so happened a gentleman stopped in our office and a new love affair had begun. 

Next time, the parts bike comes into its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment